OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】. Put the bowl in water to cool down; set aside. Mix roughly cake flour, baking powder, and dried bonito powder; set aside. More information Best Okonomiyaki Recipe (Osaka style) or better known as 'Japanese Pizza'.
This is a non-traditional recipe BUT made with the concept to. It's a traditional Japanese savoury pancake that is sometimes also called Japanese pizza and is a very popular festival (matsuri) street food in Japan. There are many Okonomiyaki-ya, or Japanese restaurants that serve this delicious pancake, where you can even make your own with tables that have built in grill, or teppan. You can cook OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】 using 20 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】
- It’s of thin sliced pork belly.
- You need of cabbage, about 1/2 heads.
- It’s of scallion.
- You need of red pickled ginger.
- Prepare of perilla leaf.
- Prepare of eggs.
- Prepare of oil for frying.
- It’s of Okonomi-yaki batter.
- Prepare of boiled water.
- It’s of Japanese soup stock (dashi), granule type.
- Prepare of (7 oz, 1.6 cups) cake flour.
- It’s of baking powder.
- It’s of dried bonito powder (optional).
- It’s of Japanese yam.
- Prepare of Topping (adjust to suit your taste).
- Prepare of okonomiyaki sauce (savory pancake sauce, It's kind of similar to barbecue sauce.).
- It’s of mayonnaise.
- It’s of dried green nori flakes.
- It’s of dried bonito flakes.
- You need of 1cup=235cc(USA).
Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き o-konomi-yaki) is the ultra popular Japanese style savoury pancake, aka Japanese Pizza! Okonomi translates to "as you like" and yaki to "grilled" giving you. Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savoury pancake. It differs by region and this authentic recipe is the well known and mouth-watering Osaka okonomiyaki.
OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese Pizza / Japanese Savory Pancake)【Recipe Video】 step by step
- ★Recipe video★ (my You Tube channel)→https://youtu.be/u59j7GmSckc.
- 【For Okonomiyaki batter】Put 200 ml (6.8 fl oz) boiled water in a bowl and add Japanese soup stock, stir well. Put the bowl in water to cool down; set aside. Mix roughly cake flour, baking powder, and dried bonito powder; set aside..
- Grate Japanese yam into a large bowl. Pour the prepared stock in it while stirring. Sift dry ingredients over it..
- Mix well until smooth. Let it sit in a fridge for 3 hours or more to bring out the ''umami''(savory taste) of the flour..
- 【Prepare other ingredients. 】Chop cabbage into about 1 cm (0.4'') square. Chop the core of cabbage into fine pieces. Cut stalks scallion into small pieces. (You should wipe off moisture after you wash vegetables, before cutting them.).
- Cut leaves perilla leaf into small pieces. Chop red pickled ginger into fine pieces..
- 【Cook it with a frying pan.】Put one serving of the batter and vegetables in a bowl (1/4 each). Add an egg and mix roughly..
- Heat a frypan on medium-low heat and add a splash of oil for frying. Pour the okonomiyaki mixture into the pan. Use a spatula to form it into a round pancake about 2cm (0.8'') thick..
- Cook it for 3 mins on medium heat. Gently lay about 1/4 of the pork belly slices on top of the pancake. When golden brown on the bottom, flip it and cook the other side..
- Cook it on medium heat for 4-5 mins until golden too or pork belly gets crispy. Please don't push down on the okonomiyaki in the pan to get a fluffy pancake. Flip it again, warm it on low heat and then turn off the heat..
- 【Toppings】Apply okonomiyaki sauce with a spoon or brush, add mayonnaise in zigzagging lines, and sprinkle dried green nori flakes and dried bonito flakes. Please try freshly cooked OKONOMIYAKI!.
- Notes: If the time has passed after putting cabbage into the batter, the water in the cabbage will come out and the batter will become watery. If the batter becomes watery, the cooked okonomiyaki won't get fluffy, so when cooking, it's better to mix the batter and vegetables just before cooking..
Follow this easy savoury pancake recipe and also make your own okonomiyaki sauce, or simply purchase it from a local store. A healthy meal with simple vegetarian or vegan options. Okonomiyaki is the famous Japanese savory pancake that is usually cooked at the dining table so you can customize it to your taste. My children loved okonomiyaki growing up – actually, they still love it just as much! Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a Japanese street food which is very popular among Western visitors who often try it for the first time in Japan.