Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy. I removed the flour (and beef broth) in place of a brown gravy packet for ease of cooking, and I used way less onion over of the original recipe. Finally, the patties were originally bigger, but that's probably why I ended up with with beef chunks over actual steaks. See great recipes for Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy too!
Hamburger Steak with mushroom onion gravy is easy to make but tastes like a dish that's been braised for hours. It's quick enough to put together for a weeknight dinner. We loved Hamburger Steak with gravy growing up. You can have Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1 of small sweet onion diced into thin strips.
- Prepare 3 Tablespoons of butter (optional).
- You need 1 packet of brown gravy mix.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- Prepare of parsley (for garnish).
Rich brown gravy over a burger smothered with fresh mushrooms and browned onion with a potato on the side (smothered in more. Ground Beef- Unfortunately, can be any cut or even a combination of cuts can be labeled *ground beef* so the consistency is usually a problem. Divide the meat mixture into six even portions and then form balls of each piece. Serve over warm rice or mashed potatoes Enjoy!
Southern Hamburger Chunks with Onion Gravy instructions
- Add ground beef, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, & salt into a large bowl..
- Use your hands to combine the spices with the beef..
- Shape the mixture into 3 patties..
- Heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat..
- Sear the burgers on both sides to create a nice "crust" on the burgers. (Note: My patties broke apart, so I broke them into big chunks).
- Remove burgers from skillet and place on a plate. Set aside..
- Leave 3 Tablespoons of fat in the skillet or add 3 tablespoons of butter if you prefer not to use beef fat..
- Add onions and saute until tender and golden..
- Slowly pour in water, then the gravy packet, and stir..
- Bring to a simmer and then add hamburgers back to the skillet..
- Simmer until gravy has thickened and hamburgers are cooked through..
- If needed, season with salt and black pepper..
In the pan with the drippings, add in the sliced onions to the skillet, add a tablespoon of water, and cook over medium heat until lightly caramelized, stirring frequently. Watch me make these Hamburger Steaks w/ Onion Gravy from start to finish! Lord have mercy…there are just some meals that are the epitome of southern comfort food like hamburger steak and gravy! Don't over mix or the meat will be tough. Hamburger Steak with Onions and Brown Gravy.