Homemade Flatbread Pizza Crust. Adapted from my favorite pizza crust recipe, this homemade flatbread pizza bakes up into a thin and chewy base for your favorite flatbread toppings. Pizza dough typically has yeast (and needs time to rise) while flatbread dough typically doesn't. HOWEVER, some pizza dough doesn't have yeast and some flatbread dough does.
I'm kicking if off with a basic flatbread dough recipe that can get pizza or flatbread on your table in probably an hour. Maybe an hour and fifteen minutes if you have two toddlers. The dough starts with yeast (duh), olive oil, honey, and water. You can have Homemade Flatbread Pizza Crust using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Flatbread Pizza Crust
- You need 1 tsp. of granulated sugar.
- You need 1 tsp. of instant yeast (or active dry).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of warm water (between 100°-110°F).
- Prepare 2 cups of all purpose flour (or bread flour).
- You need 1 tsp. of salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of olive oil + additional for brushing dough with.
- It’s 1 tsp. of garlic powder (optional).
- It’s 1 tsp. of Italian seasoning (optional).
All the essentials to a good pizza dough. Smoked bacon, cremini mushrooms, asparagus and Asiago cheese all come together on a thin, crunchy flatbread crust to create a hearty and delicious main dish pizza. In a large bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add yogurt and oil and mix until no dry spots remain.
Homemade Flatbread Pizza Crust instructions
- In a medium bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and water together and let it sit for 5 or so minutes, until it starts to turn frothy. Then add the flour, salt and olive oil. If you'the like to add the garlic powder and Italian seasoning for extra flavor, then add it now. Use a rubber spatula to combine everything together. The dough will be thick and shaggy..
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and use floured hands to knead it for 2 minutes, until it fully comes together and becomes smooth. If it's still sticky at all, add a little more flour as needed. Then place the dough into a large, greased bowl and cover it. Let it rest and rise a bit for 45 minutes. While you're waiting, go ahead and prepare your pizza toppings..
- After the 45 minutes are up, preheat your oven to 450°F. Punch the dough down to release any air and divide it in half. Use your hands to shape and stretch each half out on a lightly floured surface until it's 1/4 inch thick. You could use a rolling pin, if you'the like. Carefully transfer each one to a parchment lined baking sheet. Use a fork to poke holes across the dough and brush them both lightly with olive oil..
- Place on whatever toppings you'the like (in the picture, we went with a veggie pizza with peppers, onions and baby spinach). Bake for 12-20 minutes (times vary depending on how hot your oven runs) until the crust is lightly browned. Then slice it and serve..
This versatile dough is used to make the Flatbread with Asparagus, Fontina, and Pickled Onions, as well as the Goat Cheese and Greens Piadine. You can also make it ahead of time: Halve the kneaded dough, place each half in a zip-top plastic bag, and freeze for up to one month. Transfer the pizza, parchment and all, to your baking stone. Remove from the oven and serve. If you're not using a stone, transfer the pizza, parchment and all, to a baking sheet.