Italian stretch soup!. Great recipe for Italian stretch soup!. I came up with this because I had different little bits of left overs on hand and not really enough to make any one thing. My husband had made corned beef and cabbage the night before so I decided soup was on the menu.
MEAT Italian sausage provides extra flavor and seasoning in this recipe, but ground beef, ground chicken, or meatballs are great options too. This top-rated pasta soup features Italian sausage, chopped veggies, canned diced tomatoes, and cannellini beans. We added pasta, chickpeas and arugula to turn it into a meal. You can have Italian stretch soup! using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Italian stretch soup!
- It’s 5 of strips bacon keep the bacon grease..
- It’s 6 of sausage links( casings removed).
- It’s 1 cup of hamburger( cooked) can cook with the pork I just had already cooked burger left over..
- Prepare 3/4 of onion, chopped.
- You need 1 of lg. mushroom (sliced).
- Prepare 1/2 of head cabbage ,chopped(red is what i had great flavor nice surprise).
- It’s 2 tbsp of garlic.
- You need 1 tbsp of Italian herbs.
- You need 1/2 gallon of more or less to liking stock of choice( I had stock from corned beef and cabbage left ).
- You need 3 of potatoes.
- You need 4 of carrots.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter/ and or coconut oil.
Serve with: Garlic bread and Caesar salad. Bread soup, also known as Italian ribollita, is no exception. For centuries, cooks have used bread to stretch leftover soup and make it extra filling. If this is your first time hearing of bread soup, just think: many of us like to crumble crackers in our soup.
Italian stretch soup! step by step
- Use a stock pot thin enough you can sauté in. If you don't have one a sauté pan/ fry pan works too..
- Cook up the bacon till crisp enough to crumble but not loose flavor in stock pot. Set aside just to cool then crumble. Put back into stock pot along with the bacon fat..
- Add butter and or oil, onion, and mushroom. Sauté till onion is caramelized. I used the butter and bacon fat for flavor and added coconut oil cuz there was a lot to sauté and didn't want to add more fat..
- Add Italian herbs sauté a couple minutes add in hamburger and sausage. Cook till most all pink is gone. Add garlic . Sauté another min. Add cabbage..
- Once cabbage is tender add carrots potatoes and stock..
- Cook till veggies are all tender add salt and pepper to taste..
It stands to reason that bread and soup are naturals together. I also think that next time I would add the egg by itself, as you do with egg drop soup, and then add the cheese and parsley after. A hearty and healthy Italian soup loaded with fresh vegetables, white beans, and spicy Italian sausage. If you like, add cooked small pasta at the end. "Wow, this soup was really good," says geneen. "I used chicken Sicilian sausage from Trader Joes and a large can of crushed tomatoes. I can't wait to make this.