New York style pizza dough. The Best New York Style Pizza Dough. The best, authentic NY pizza dough recipe for making pizza dough at home. This is the best thin crust pizza ever!
Lift the dough onto the prepared pan and press the dough to the edge of the pan. In a small bowl, using a fork, stir the yeast into the lukewarm water. In another small bowl, combine the cold water, sugar, salt and olive oil (and optional italian seasoning). You can cook New York style pizza dough using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of New York style pizza dough
- It’s 5 cup of unbleached bread flour.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of instant yeast.
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 3/4 cup of room temp water.
Pat and gently stretch dough from edges until dough seems to not stretch anymore. New York-style pizza dough is an offshoot of Neapolitan-style dough—still a thin crust pie, but slightly thicker than its Italian cousin. The crust is sturdy, but not cracker-like, and instead features a tender chew thanks to the addition of oil in the dough. Turn single dough ball out onto lightly flour surface.
New York style pizza dough step by step
- put water in a metal bowl (I use 5qt. kitchen aid mixer with a dough hook) add yeast,sugar,salt, and olive oil and mix until dissolved. add the flour a little at a time and mix until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and is on hook. mix on low for 4 minutes. let the dough rest for 5 minutes then mix again on med low setting for an additional 2 minutes. immediately divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. round each piece into a ball and rub with olive oil. place each ball in a zippered bag or dough container and refrigerate overnight or freeze any pieces you will not be using the next day. The next day remove the dough 2 hours prior to use to allow the gluten to relax and remove the chill..
- place a baking stone on the middle shelf of oven and preheat on the highest setting for 1 hour. shape the dough using the toss and spin method stretching to a diameter of about 12 inches. dough should be about 1/4 inch think and slightly thicker toward edge. transfer dough to a peel or inverted sheet pan dusted with flour or cornmeal..
- add sauce and toppings and slide onto the stone. should take about 12 minutes to bake. when done crust should be crisp and slightly charred on edge and cheese should be bubbling and just beginning to caramelize. The underside of crust should be brown and crisp…not white and soft..
If you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven. Real New York-style pizza crust is chewy, thin, a little flexible, and dotted with bubbles and charred spots from the intense heat of the brick ovens. This version is kneaded in the bread machine, and develops complex, yeasty flavors from an overnight rise in the refrigerator. A New York Style pizza dough is characterized by a light and thin crust with slight toughness or pull to the bite. The perfect New York crust has very airy pockets and folds in half without cracking.