Sauerkraut Burger. Up your burger game by making this sweet-spicy-savory Sauerkraut Burgers with Oven Fried Pickles and Sweet Sriracha Sauce. This recipe, which we've dubbed the "Sweet and Sauer" Burger, feeds a crowd with pizzazz. Our favorite burger place used to have this burger called the Schnitzengrueben.
Right out of the gate, I feel like I need to tell you this kraut burger recipe does not contain sauerkraut. I never really knew why they called them Kraut Burgers instead of Cabbage Burgers but you have to admit Kraut Burger sounds better. Apparently, the original kraut burger recipe dates back to Germany at some point. You can have Sauerkraut Burger using 16 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sauerkraut Burger
- Prepare of Bread.
- Prepare 3 cups of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 3 tablespoon of butter soften.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 package of yeast.
- It’s 1 cup of warm water.
- It’s 1-1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need As needed of oil to coat the dough.
- It’s of Burger.
- Prepare 3 cups of sauerkraut.
- You need 2 pounds of ground beef 80/20.
- Prepare to taste of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of diced onions.
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening and salt. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Several people tend to associate krautburgers with sauerkraut.
Sauerkraut Burger instructions
- Mix the water, yeast, and sugar. Let it sit 7-10 minutes..
- Mix the oil, salt, flour, and butter..
- Add the yeast water mix and knead..
- Form into a ball and coat with oil. Cover and let rise for an hour..
- When it has risen gently knead the dough and recover it and let rest 35 minutes. It will rise again..
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown the beef with the onions and spices.
- When done drain the meat and sauerkraut and add together.
- Mix well..
- Take half the dough and spread it out on a greased pan.
- Add the meat mixture.
- Take the other half and roll it out and lay it on top of the other. Tuck the edges inwards..
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes and take out and brush the top with butter, and return to oven for 10-15 minutes more..
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut to the size you desire. I hope you enjoy!!?.
Although some people use sauerkraut in their burgers, at Schwartz's we use fresh steamed cabbage instead. It is a lot more work but we think it is worth it. Schwartz's Krautburgers are made with fresh steamed cabbage, ground beef, onions and spices baked inside fresh made bread. Cook until cabbage is nearly done– DO NOT BROWN. Drain, add salt and pepper to taste.