Homemade Deep Dish Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet. Sprinkle yeast and brown sugar over warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Press dough into pan; build up edges slightly.
To make the pizza crust, I allow rolls to thaw out and rise in my cast iron skillet. After the frozen dinner rolls rise, I flatten them using the bottom of a cup. Sprinkle the pan with a mixture of cornmeal, flour and sugar. "This keeps the pizza from sticking on the bottom and it gives it great flavor," Rach explains. You can have Homemade Deep Dish Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Deep Dish Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet
- You need 2 cups of unbleached bread flour.
- Prepare 1/4 package of cornbread mix.
- It’s 1.5 tablespoons of active dry yeast.
- You need 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of ground pepper.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1-2 Cups of cheese (mozzarella).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Alfredo sauce (you can use any type of pizza/pasta sauce. thicker less watery sauces are best for crunchy crusts!).
- You need 2-3 of spicy Italian sausages.
- You need 1 of Avocado.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of lime juice.
Easy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza, a fast and easy deep dish Pizza Recipe. A simple tomato sauce topped with skillet fried Mushrooms and Pancetta and lots of melty cheese! Easy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza changed the way I make pizza. So easy and it cooks to perfection.
Homemade Deep Dish Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet step by step
- Preparing the dough- Combine bread flour, cornbread mix, yeast, and seasonings (ground pepper, garlic powder, salt) to a large bowl and mix together evenly. Add water and mix until there is no flour left in the bowl and your dough is the proper texture. Cover and let sit for 8-12 hours (less if you use warm water).
- 2nd step for dough- Uncover the dough which has doubled in size, add your olive oil and mix it into the dough. Drizzle a handful of flour over the top, Mix the flour into the dough and let it rise for another 30 mins..
- Knead the dough on a well floured surface, being sure to fold the dough into itself adding flour along the way if it starts to get sticky. Then store the dough in the fridge overnight..
- Making the Pizza- Generously coat a deep skillet with olive oil and add your dough after it has thawed for 10+ minutes. Begin to shape the dough into the pan, eventually creating an inch high crust along the sides. Let it rise while preparing the rest of the ingredients..
- Preparing the toppings- Slice up your Italian sausages and microwave them wrapped in paper towel to remove some of the moisture. Cut avocados into slices and add to a bag with lime juice and shake them up..
- Assembling the pizza- First, add layer of cheese then slowly drip your sauce evenly over the cheese (it is harder to spread this way without displacing the cheese). Add your slices of sausage in a circular pattern, then add avocado slices between the sausage..
- Bake on 450 degrees farenheight for 20-30 minutes depending on the size/thickness of your pizza. Let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting into and enjoy!.
Meanwhile, divide the pizza dough into two. Pound one piece of the dough into a circle about the size of your cast iron skillet. Very carefully place the dough into the cast iron skillet and press the dough out so that you get a lip around the edge for the crust. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven. Use a cast-iron skillet and a super-hot oven to mimic the crispy crust exterior of a Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza.