Patty Melt. Heat large cast iron skillet on medium-high. Place remaining bread slices mustard-side down on top of the sandwiches. Heat the grill pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
Sturdy, thick-cut bread such as sourdough can stand up to the meat and gooey cheeses in this classic sandwich. Use a cast-iron pan; it's a pro at handling the heat needed to cook the patties and toast the bread. A patty melt is basically a better version of the humble burger. You can cook Patty Melt using 4 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Patty Melt
- You need 1 lb of ground sirloin or 80\20.
- You need 1 of cheese of choice.
- Prepare 1 of sweet onion.
- It’s 4 piece of bread of choice.
Ground beed gets shaped into more of a oblong rectangle to fit the rye bread, then it gets topped with plenty of Swiss cheese and. Patty Melts are one of those rare culinary gifts that give you maximal taste and satisfaction in return for minimal ingredients and effort. Made famous by little mom and pop diners across our land, this is one American classic that you can easily make at home in your kitchen. A patty melt is a sandwich consisting of a hamburger patty with melted cheese (traditionally Swiss Cheese) and topped with caramelized onions between two slices of griddled bread (traditionally rye or marbled rye, though sourdough or Texas toast are sometimes substituted in some regions, including the southern U.
Patty Melt step by step
- I grill these over charcoal with hickory chips. Once grill is hot I put the onion right on the coals. Don't be afraid of the char…your gonna want that..
- While onion cooks. Patty the meat into 8 ounce portions. Allow onion about twenty minutes and give it a turn or two. Now put those patty's on and cook to desired temp. Add your cheese and toast that bread..
- Remove the outer char from onion and get to that soft inner portion. Add to your patty melt and start grubbin. I also put sweet potatoes right on the coals also…makes an awesome side..
It is unclear when the patty melt was invented, but records exist of them. Assemble the patty melts: spread both slices of bread for each sandwich with thousand island dressing, then add a patty, two slices of American cheese and top with caramelized onions. Preheat a cast-iron skillet and melt half a tablespoon of butter for each sandwich. Drop a sandwich in, press down with a spatula and grill until golden brown. Wipe out skillet and reduce heat to medium.