Mike's Green Chile Pork Stew. Great recipe for Mike's Green Chile Pork Stew. This spicy, absolutely delicious Mexican stew is meant to be eaten by tearing off small pieces of warmed flour tortillas and placing the stew within them. This stew also makes great fried taquitos!
Hearty New Mexico inspired dish that can be made vegetarian simply by omitting the pork. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the garlic, carrots, onions, oregano. A recipe for green chili stew made with a variety of roasted green chili peppers, loads of seasonings, and cubed pork shoulder, simmered low and slow until perfect. You can cook Mike's Green Chile Pork Stew using 17 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mike's Green Chile Pork Stew
- Prepare 2 (1 pound) Buckets of Bueno Green Chilies [reserve 1].
- You need 1 Can (1 Pound) of Tomatillos [drained – hand crushed].
- You need 1 Pound of 80/20 Hamburger Meat [optional].
- It’s 1 Pound of Pork Meat [1" chunks].
- You need 3 tbsp of Ground Cumin [reserve 1 tbsp].
- It’s 1 tsp of Mexican Oregano.
- You need 5 Cans (14 oz) of Beef Stock.
- It’s 1 Cup of Celery [diced – with leaves].
- You need 2 of LG White Onions [rough chopped].
- It’s 6 of Garlic Cloves [smashed – fine minced].
- Prepare 4 of Medium Potatoes [small chop].
- It’s 1 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro [stems and leaves – added last – + reserves for garnish].
- You need 1 tbsp of Granulated Garlic Powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Granulated Onion Powder [added last].
- It’s 1 tbsp of Green Chile Powder [added last].
- You need to taste of Sea Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper.
- You need 1 Package of Fresh Flour Tortillas.
If you've never tasted green chile with pork, then you're missing out on quite the delicacy. Many people think Green Chile Pork Stew belongs only in New Mexico, but because of the heavy influences of the green chile found in West Texas, it is a classic in this part of the state. This delicious stew is filling and easy enough to make on weeknights. Peel skin from chiles, chop and add to the pot (including the seeds).
Mike's Green Chile Pork Stew instructions
- Here's the bulk of what you'll need..
- Fresh pork loin roast..
- Fresh flour tortillas..
- Brown your ground beef and pork with a splash of olive oil. Drain meat in a colander. Return meat to pot..
- Add 1 bucket green chilies, onions, celery, 6 garlic cloves, 1 tsp Mexican Oregano, 1 tbsp Cumin and 1 can beef stock to your pot. Cover and allow her to simmer until onions and celery are translucent. About 5 minutes. Stir occasionally..
- Add 4 cans beef stock to mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally..
- Add potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes or, until potatoes are soft..
- This is an important step: You're now steeping. Pour your other bucket of green chilies in along with your fresh chopped Cilantro, 1 tablespoon Cumin, 1 tablespoon Granulated Garlic, 1 tablespoon Granulated Onion and 1 tablespoon Green Chilie Powder. Mix well, cover and simmer 5 minutes longer..
- Serve stew hot with warmed flour tortillas and chilled Cilantro. No other condiments required. Enjoy!.
- Know that any leftover stew makes for great taquitos! With your stew fully heated: Use a slotted spoon to drain any fluids and place your meat and potato solids in warmed flour tortillas. Roll tortillas up tightly and pin with toothpicks. Fry in vegetable oil until tortillas are browned and crispy. Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole sides..
- Serve on beds of cabbage and garnish with fresh Cilantro and Parsley. That's it! Easy peasey! Enjoy!.
Join Jemez Ranger, Brenda Tafoya in making chile stew! Featured in: Pork And Green Chili Stew. Adapted from the Pepper Pot, Hatch, N. There's nothing I love more than having a mammoth-sized batch of soup on the stove, whether it's going to serve a room full of people or supply me with a stockpile of meals. This New Mexico pork and green chile stew is the perfect candidate to make on a lazy Sunday and then live off of the rest of the week.