Sauerkraut Burger. Up your burger game by making this sweet-spicy-savory Sauerkraut Burgers with Oven Fried Pickles and Sweet Sriracha Sauce. This recipe, which we've dubbed the "Sweet and Sauer" Burger, feeds a crowd with pizzazz. Our favorite burger place used to have this burger called the Schnitzengrueben.
Right out of the gate, I feel like I need to tell you this kraut burger recipe does not contain sauerkraut. I never really knew why they called them Kraut Burgers instead of Cabbage Burgers but you have to admit Kraut Burger sounds better. Apparently, the original kraut burger recipe dates back to Germany at some point. You can have Sauerkraut Burger using 16 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sauerkraut Burger
- You need of Bread.
- You need 3 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 3 tablespoon of butter soften.
- You need 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 package of yeast.
- You need 1 cup of warm water.
- It’s 1-1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s As needed of oil to coat the dough.
- You need of Burger.
- Prepare 3 cups of sauerkraut.
- Prepare 2 pounds of ground beef 80/20.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 cup of diced onions.
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening and salt. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Place on a baking sheet with the seam side down.
Sauerkraut Burger step by step
- Mix the water, yeast, and sugar. Let it sit 7-10 minutes..
- Mix the oil, salt, flour, and butter..
- Add the yeast water mix and knead..
- Form into a ball and coat with oil. Cover and let rise for an hour..
- When it has risen gently knead the dough and recover it and let rest 35 minutes. It will rise again..
- Preheat the oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown the beef with the onions and spices.
- When done drain the meat and sauerkraut and add together.
- Mix well..
- Take half the dough and spread it out on a greased pan.
- Add the meat mixture.
- Take the other half and roll it out and lay it on top of the other. Tuck the edges inwards..
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes and take out and brush the top with butter, and return to oven for 10-15 minutes more..
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut to the size you desire. I hope you enjoy!!?.
Several people tend to associate krautburgers with sauerkraut. Although some people use sauerkraut in their burgers, at Schwartz's we use fresh steamed cabbage instead. It is a lot more work but we think it is worth it. Schwartz's Krautburgers are made with fresh steamed cabbage, ground beef, onions and spices baked inside fresh made bread. Welcome to Lauer-Krauts Krautburgers home page!